Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:25:23 -0500
From:      Brad Lisoweski <blisowes@cgocable.net>
To:        "Michael Mercer" <mmercer@nortelnetworks.com>, mmercer@ipass.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are cable modems currently supported under FreeBSD?

>As the subject states, Are cable modems currently supported under
>FreeBSD?
>
>Looking at http://www.home.com/testdrive/cablemodems/faq.html
>
>this says 'under Winblows you need 125Mb of disk space.'

	Yup.  I'm on with CGO Cable in Hamilton, Ont Canada and I use FreeBSD with
out any problems.  The only problem that you might run in to is doing a FTP
install.  Depending on how your cable company has their modems configured,
you won't be able to bind an IP to the card without getting from the DHCP
server.  So,  your best bet is to get a hold of the CDs (buy 'em, make your
own..) and install it that way.  Once you've got FreeBSD installed and a
DHCP client installed, you shouldn't have any problems.

	As a matter of fact, I run my own webserver, mail and DNS off my FreeBSD
box over the cable modem.