Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 21:36:14 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AHA-2842A troubles

John-Mark Gurney writes:

> have you tried to pull the 2940 out of the machine, and just kept the
> 2842 in it??

Oh yes! Stripped the machine down to its $28 Trident PCI video card and
the 2842 to no avail. Machine has been running fine with the 2842
installed but not active. Also has a 21040 ethernet card installed but
not active. Am running an NE2000 clone until I figure out why my de0
goes deaf, but that's another story.

Probably should have mentioned my cheap MB is featured in
http://users.aol.com/sdnd/vip.htm, an amazing work of useful info for
an otherwise unamazing mass produced generic cheap MB. Mine is the last
revision, 3.4, with (4) 72-pin SIMMs. This web page metions some defect
in the UMC 8881 or 8886 chipset and VL and graphics boards.

Don't think I can complain much about this cheap MB if it flat out
doesn't do Adaptec 2842's, it was $116 for 5x86/133 CPU and 256k of
cache (in addition to 256k of WRITE BACK CACHE on the MB, bogus) and
has been running 24 hours/day now for 15 months.