Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2003 19:18:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        simon@freebsd.org (Simon L. Nielsen)
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Requirements Final Draft Attempt #2 :-/

Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
 > On 2003.08.09 01:26:54 +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > [...]
 > > It doesn't do any DNS zone transfers, so it is not affected
 > > by reluctant DNS servers.  Instead, the list of CC subdomains
 > > is hardcoded.  For each subdomain, it starts at ftp.$DOMAIN,
 > > ftp1.$DOMAIN and increases the number until a host cannot be
 > > resolved.  That seems to be a better approach than relying
 > > on zone transfers.
 >
 > One little problem is when a number is skipped.  E.g. your script
 > doesn't pick up ftp3.dk.freebsd.org, since there is no ftp2.  I don't
 > know if there are any other special cases like this, but it's not that
 > important right now.

I didn't know that there are "holes" in some countries' list
of servers.  In Germany, when one server goes away, we just
duplicate another server, so there are no holes.  That's why
ftp3.de.freebsd.org and ftp6.de.freebsd.org point to the
same machine.

However, it seems that there is no "official" requirement to
avoid gaps in the list.  But that's not a big problem.
I changed the script to try two more times, so it can jump
over (small) gaps, at the expense of a few more DNS lookups.
I re-ran the collector, and now ftp3.dk is in the list, among
45 other hosts that were missing before.  :)

Another possibility would be to try a zone transfer first,
and if that fails, fall back to the existing algorithm.
But I'm not sure if it is worth it.

Regards
   Oliver

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law, from Profiles of the Future