Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2005 17:30:41 -0800
From:      Joe Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: shared library pain with 6.0-RELEASE : .so.600 ??

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 11:02:24AM +0900, Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:
> First. .600 have nothing in common with FreeBSD release-tag. Those
> numbers belong to GNOME/GTK libraries release cycle. Second. Basically
> multiple library versions co-existence is not so rosy as you probably
> think. Even if you solve header files conflicts there are a lot of
> software which alloc/dealloc various kind of resources across modules,
> libraries which  extensively use static data etc. etc. etc. This will
> lead to very weird run-time behavior.

I know, but unless the package system comes up with some maintainable way
to track .so version numbers and can determine if/when to add symblic
links...  having to hack around this stuff is silly.  Having to rebuild
every package is likewise silly.

> But on the good note I'd happy to tell that those frequent shared
> library bumps was due bug in GNU autohell tools used by GNOME/GTK
> software authors. This problem addressed in GNOME 2.12 FreeBSD port
> which just hit the repository. So this is a last time you required to
> step through massive rebuild w/o a good reason for that.

So clarify for me -- if I do the gnome-upgrade.sh upgrade to 2.12, this
will recompile every package that needs these libraries?  Or give me more
new library changes that will need yet more symbolic links?