Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:29:03 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   [pac@bvemx.ppco.com: kern/4068: 'panic: cant mount root' while booting new installation from disk 2.]

-----Forwarded message from pac@bvemx.ppco.com-----

>Number:         4068
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       'panic: cant mount root' while booting new installation from disk 2.

-----End of forwarded message-----

Pilot error, as we all know.  But that's now the third or fourth bug
report of someone who's not intelligent enough to read the
documentation.

Any suggestions on how to:

. make the wdc driver auto-assign wd units in ascending order as
  the disks have been found, or

. either detect the typical case of only wd0 and wd2 existing very
  early, and perhaps change the root dev to wd2 (instead of wd1),

. or at least detect the case post-mortem, and hint to the correct
  usage in a printf() right before the panic?

--
cheers, J"org