Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:29:35 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 7500

Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com> wrote:

> has anyone got the 6xDVD option/
> can FreeBSD read cds from it?

     Plain CDROMs, CDRs, and CDRWs, yes.  I haven't tried reading a DVD
from FreeBSD.

[ I don't know if it makes any difference, but I'm running -current. ]

> And what does that translate to in speed when reading a CD?

# dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2k | cat > /dev/null
dd: /dev/acd0c: Input/output error
291679+0 records in
291679+0 records out
597358592 bytes transferred in 355.752387 secs (1679141 bytes/sec)

[ This is, of course, with the new ATA drivers. ]

[ Urg.  I just noticed that I'm not using DMA.  Grrr.  ]

     Let's try that again:

# dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2k | cat > /dev/null
dd: /dev/acd0c: Input/output error
291679+0 records in
291679+0 records out
597358592 bytes transferred in 230.161903 secs (2595384 bytes/sec)

Much better.

> anyone tried the "internal modem"?

     It's a winmodem -- don't bother.  Delete it from your order.

> and what about the R/RW cdrom drive?

     Don't know.

     I don't know if it works, but the USB port is detected as:

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> irq 5 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

[ Like other laptops, the Inspiron has only one USB port in the back.  I
  assume that the port replicator has two. ]

     A potentially big issue is that the USB and sound IRQs appear to be
tied together, and there seems to be no way to change this (or even
specify which shared IRQ to use).  The Inspiron uses the Phoenix BIOS,
and other laptops that use this same BIOS allow you to set all aspects
of the USB and sound devices.  The Inspiron doesn't though.

     I haven't tried the IRDA port, but it looks like it can be
configured as COM2 from the BIOS, and so it may work.

> I'm looking at outfitting myself for serious travelling/work
> and dropping 6K on the machine is not impossible, but I want to know what
> I'm letting myself in for.

     Note that the Inspiron is large and heavy (~9.5 lbs).  It doesn't
bother me, but it bothers some.  If you carry it around a lot, you'll
need a good (and large) carrying case.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com