Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:11:21 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Robert Helmer" <frumpler@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: all fixed!!

> Ok, thanks to everybody who responded to me!
>
> I successfully configured natd and am translating addresses left and
> right :)
>
> Also, (of course :) I'm having another problem.. whenevr I hang up
> on ppp, the modem won't answer!

If you're using the ppp that came with FreeBSD-2.2.5, it's a known
problem (see the 2.2.5 ERRATA.TXT).  You'll need to at least upgrade
ppp - see http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html.

> I use user ppp, each user has a special account to log in with
> (usually the ppp login for user ``jon'' is ``jonppp''
> and a /usr/sbin/ppplogin.sh is run, containing the line
> ppp -direct $USER
> ppp.conf is just like jon:
>                           set ifaddr x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
> used to work! maybe it's routed or natd??! please email

You should avoid using routed with ppp.  I've heard of lots of
problems (although I've experienced none myself).  You probably
don't actually need routed anyway.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;