Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 08:48:21 +1100
From:      Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, Ronald Klop <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
Cc:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>, "Fred J. Lomas" <aj@8hill.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how ?/

Why would you want to do it that way. Specially when the file is very huge.
I recommend people use the zcat command.

eg: -

Assuming you want to extract phpMyAdmin to /usr/local/apache/htdocs/
The phpMyAdmin.tar.gz file is locate in /home/billgates/

Type in:-
cd /usr/local/apache/htdocs/
zcat /home/billgates/phpMyAdmin.tar.gz | tar xvf -