Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2006 08:50:38 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   An xorg-lite install

SirDice's suggestion of a "lite" xorg install got me thinking, and
playing with it.

I've been trying to pare down an X install to see what I could leave out
and still have a working X, figuring that if, say, I left out a font
needed by an application, that application would install the font at a
later date.

So far, I've gotten it down to xorg-libraries, xorg-server, keyboard,
video and mouse drivers, the fonts suggested in the wiki, xorg-fonts
(which was a cop-out--I still haven't had the patience to delete each
font separately and see when X stopped starting, and, from xorg-apps,
twm, xterm and xinit.  (Without xinit I get startx not found--oops, I
knew that.)  :)

I tried googling for this, but either I'm using the wrong search terms
or SirDice and I are the only ones who like this idea.  Does anyone have
a list of what would be the minimum?

(I would add to SirDice's suggestion that the xorg-lite should put in
enough fonts so that X starts--his thought, IIRC, was that no fonts
should be included, leaving the installer to pick which fonts he wanted.
I would also include twm and xterm for basic beginnings.)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Hey, I know! Why don't you kill them?
Giles: I'm a Watcher, I haven't the skill.
Buffy: Oh, come on. A stake through the heart, a little sunlight.
It's like falling off a log.