Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:40:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jon Masami Kuroda <jkuroda@eecs.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/20445: restore(8) -r and -R don't use mktemp(3)

The following reply was made to PR bin/20445; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jon Masami Kuroda <jkuroda@eecs.berkeley.edu>
To: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc: Jon Masami Kuroda <jkuroda@eecs.berkeley.edu>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:30:14 -0700

 I think the only thing that could be done is to add that bit from the NetBSD
 restore(8) manpage to the FreeBSD one so future young bright file system
 cloners wont repeat my steps.

 BUGS
      restore can get confused when doing incremental restores from dumps that
      were made on active file systems.

      A level zero dump must be done after a full restore.  Because restore
      runs in user code, it has no control over inode allocation; thus a full
      dump must be done to get a new set of directories reflecting the new in-
      ode numbering, even though the content of the files is unchanged.

 >    The temporary files /tmp/rstdir* and /tmp/rstmode* are generated with a
 >    unique name based on the date of the dump and the process ID (see
 >    mktemp(3)), except for when -r or -R is used.  Because -R allows you to
 >    restart a -r operation that may have been interrupted, the temporary
 >    files should be the same across different processes.  In all other cases,
 >    the files are unique because it is possible to have two different dumps
 >    started at the same time, and separate operations shouldn't conflict with
 >    each other.

 I would add one more note to that manpage change:

      This will prevent cloning of filesystems from a single dumpfile to
      multiple filesystems at one time via "restore -r" or "restore -R".

 Given time, I could see implementing a -c[lone] flag or the NetBSD TMPDIR
 environ(7) behaviour, but I think that is well beyond the scope of this PR.

 ENVIRONMENT
      If the following environment variable exists it will be utilized by
      restore:
      TMPDIR  The directory given in TMPDIR will be used instead of /tmp to
              store temporary files.  Refer to environ(7) for more information.

 Thanks for your time on this one, lets close it.

 Cheers,
 Jon