Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 12:38:54 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu (John-Mark Gurney)
Subject:   Re: Ideas on CD changers sought

As John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> well... I tried this patch...  it looks like it doesn't work...

Too bad.  So it looks Julian's idea doesn't do it either.  That means
we are stuck with the current method, to disable multi-LUN probes for
CD-ROM devices, except of a few that are known to be media changer
devices.

> patch... as you can see different firmware revisions do different
> things...

Yep.  Though not _very_ different.

> (bt0:3:0): "CHINON CD-ROM CDS-535 Q20" type 5 removable SCSI 2
> cd1(bt0:3:0): CD-ROM cd present [207247 x 2048 byte records]
> (bt0:3:1): UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0
> (bt0:3:1):  Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed

The unit attention is weird, but could not be taken as a reliable
indication.

> (bt0:3:1): "unknown unknown ????" type 0 fixed SCSI 0

We could perhaps treat this null result to the inquiry as ``target
doesn't support that LUN'', but that's at least a similar crock as the
hard-coded list of known-to-be-good devices.

> sd2(bt0:3:1): Direct-Access
> sd2(bt0:3:1): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB

That's the consequence out of assuming `direct access' from the null
inquiry.  I think this should be killed, the device should be assigned
to the `uk' driver (unknown SCSI device) in case it failed to deliver
inquiry data.  It makes things only worse this way.

(The docking station of our Toshiba T5100 notebook contains an AIC7850
and an unknown CD drive.  Since it times out during inquiry, the
driver also assumes it to be an `sd0', which finally causes the kernel
to panic.)

> (bt0:4:0): "CHINON CD-ROM CDS-535 Q10" type 5 removable SCSI 2
> cd2(bt0:4:0): CD-ROM cd present [300077 x 2048 byte records]
> (bt0:4:1): UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0
> (bt0:4:1):  Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed
> (bt0:4:1): "unknown unknown ????" type 0 fixed SCSI 0
> sd3(bt0:4:1): Direct-Access 586MB (300077 2048 byte sectors)

The only difference here is that it apparently groks the geometry page
for direct-access devices, and eventually delivers the correct number
of blocks per device, and bytes per block.  That's why you don't get
the ``Invalid field in CDB'' here, but the result is bogus anyway
since this device _ain't_ an `sd' device.

Thanks for the response!

--
cheers, J"org