Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:40:10 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does / Is anyone maintaining CVS for FreeBSD?

On 12/31/12 12:40 PM, Chris H wrote:
> | I'm sorry, but the exporter scripts were always a stopgap.
> That's what I was afraid I would hear. Recently, I was informed by SF.NET,
> that my account would be upgraded, and all the projects I have, which all
> use CVS, would be "upgraded" to SVN (which renders them useless). When I
> asked why, they told me because CVS was so old. To which I stated:
> Indeed, CVS is _quite_ old, and so is TCP/IP. Yet no one can seem live
> without it.
> Sigh...
> IM(NS)HO; SVN is an inferior RCS created so Windows users wouldn't feel
> left out.
> Are there _any_ CVS servers/trunks/tree's left? If so, how _current_ are
> they?
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to reply, Chris.
>
> All the best.

You still really haven't come forward with a concrete reason besides "my
workflow" and "my scripts".

Svn is a *near* drop in replacement for CVS.

If instead of complaining and taking up bandwidth on the lists about old
tech, you instead asked about how to move your archaic setup forward
then someone would likely step forward and lend you a hand.

The project's goal is to support a large user base and the developers in
a manner that works with our resources.  Supporting CVS (a 2nd gen VCS)
while we have been on a 3rd gen (svn) and are finally looking into a 4th
gen (git) is just unfair.

If you took a few minutes you'd fine the svn command set intuitive and a
simple switch over from CVS.

-Alfred