Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:07:35 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mixed results w/ WinCast/TV

Hi,

>Hm, that was stuck in the mail queue.

I wwas wondering if that was just me, or freefall,  my net just changed
ISPs and its still a little wacky!

--
>Changing channels and rapid camera movement will sometimes cause tv to
>stop. Moving tv around a bunch restarts the stream.

me too.  can't find any warnings about when you can change inputs vs
a running risc program.  any clues appreciated.

--
>Have a good night, and may the postperson bestow the Brooktree databook on
>your mailbox tomorrow.

FedEx woke me up at the ridiculess time of 9:00am to deliver a copy yesterday
morning!  First look has me re-writting the bright/hue/contrast/chroma
code.  They are using "mixed metaphores":

 hue:			-90' - +90'	default: 0'
 brightness:		-50% - +49%	default: 0%
 contrast:		0% - 236%	default: 100%
 chroma U:		0% - 201%	default: 100%
 chroma V:		0% - 283%	default: 100%

I'm at a loss as to how to handle this.  Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
suggested:

> What I'd also be interested in is some #define's in the
>driver includes or a query ioctl to get the the percentages that the min &
>max equate to.

I think I'll go the #define route, ioctl would be "kernel bloat".  I've already
re-written the ioctls to take signed ints instead of u_chars so that the
signed #s and 0 - 511 values can be passed in/out.  Then the app writer
can mung the values in whatever way strikes their fancy.

I also need to deal with the fact that U and V have different ranges.  Ie
you can't stuff the same value into both registers and get the "correct"
result: 100% is 0xfe in the U reg, but 0xb4 in the V reg.  not sure whether
to change the ioctls to have seperate entries for U and V, letting the
app writer do the correction math, or to have 1 ioctl that does the relative
adjustment based on a passed in value in the range of ??? thru ???.  guess the
range would have to be 0% thru 201%, ie the lesser of U and V.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            SMP FreeBSD