Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 07:36:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

> Kirk McKusick has been working for the last year or so on
> a combination of "soft-updates" (complete) and "snapshots"
> (not released yet), once complete FFS will have the equivelant
> of logging AND snapshots like the netapp appliance.
I am familiar with softupdates but not with snapshots. The reason for
starting a new project was basically to once and for all get rid of UFS.
While there is nothing wrong with UFS it does have some limitations which
I would like to eliminate such as a limit of 7 slices. I would also like
to add functionality such as the ability to grow and shrink partitions
etc. Softupdates is also not recommended for use on the root partition and
it still seems to be just a little flaky. Every once in a while I wind up
with a problem which I have traced to softupdates but which I could
not recreate. (To be fair I have not had a problem in a month or two now)

> In so far as codebase there is the LFS project, currently
> fixed (afaik) in NetBSD, perhaps porting that to FreeBSD
> would be worthwhile.
This is indeed going to be the starting point for this project but I hope
I would be able to take it far beyond this.

-Don