Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 2020 04:59:23 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Charles Lecklider <freebsd-stable@lists.invis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: Cannot find announcement that min supported i386 CPU is now i686

01.09.2020 1:00, Charles Lecklider via freebsd-stable wrote:

> Having just trashed my dual Pentium 233 MMX by installing 11.4 I went
> digging to find the cause - and I found it.
>
> As you can see from objdump below, clearly a decision was made that 11.4
> would no longer support anything before a i686.
>
> Ignoring for a moment the wisdom of making breaking changes to a minor
> version, please could someone tell me where the announcement was made?

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.1R/relnotes.html section 11.1 discusses the topic
in context of upcoming FreeBSD 13.

There was some discussion on the topic in the freebsd-arch mailing list about a year ago:
https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=75083+0+archive/2019/freebsd-arch/20191006.freebsd-arch

It seems there was no announcement on the change for 11.x branch.

I wonder how much RAM does your Pentium 233 MMX have and what part of the RAM is cacheable by the chipset? :-)