Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 00:41:12 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Alex Stamos <stamos@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: T10 drafts versus ANSI standards

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 23:23:54 -0700, Alex Stamos wrote:
>     I am currently working on a software SCSI emulator for FreeBSD.  I
> was wondering if anybody knows if there's any signifigant differences
> between the T10 groups final working drafts, which are free on their web
> site, and the final ANSI standards, which cost upwards of $100 a pop.

I think they're pretty close, but you'd have to ask someone who has
actually compared the drafts to the standards to be sure. :)

FWIW, we have used the drafts for the CAM development, and I don't think
we've run into any issues caused by a draft/standard difference.

What sort of emulator are you working on?  Is this a SCSI target emulator,
i.e. something that is supposed to act like a disk or a tape drive?  Or is
this some other sort of emulator?

A well written disk emulator (or tape emulator) could be a valuable
contribution to FreeBSD.  You could use a disk emulator to do things like
form the basis of a FreeBSD-hosted software RAID array, or to test error
recovery code.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry