Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:01:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael S Scheidell <scheidell@Cerintha.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connection attempts

In local.freebsd.security, you wrote:
>I don't know what you folks' experience has been, but I've had
>almost no luck with alerting ISPs to these problems. A lot of
>this stuff comes from Korea and Chekoslovokia and I get no

I use mynetwatchman.

Its kinda like spamcop for hackers.
depending on the port number and/or number of different people he gets
attacked from, he will alert the isp on 'first contact' (port 111, 515,
some of the windows trojan ports, like subseven or netbus)

he has contacts in korea, I don't have to track them down and lart the
isp.

I can go to web site and see status of 'alerts' and escalated attacks in
last 24 hrs

I can punch in a suspect ip address and see if it was just me or others
that got attacked.

There are replys back form many isp's and 'victims' that let us know that
'thank you for reporting that'  our client system was hacked into and he
didn't even know it was being used to attack others.

What you are doing (at least a little) is removing compromised systems by
alerting the owners

These compromised systems are used to further attack and hack

(see news stories on the escalation between us and chinese hackers on the
security lists).

so, if there is a 2% response back, with no effort on my part but to
install the ipfw per scripts, at least thats 2%.