Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 13:49:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        patl@asimov.volant.org, gryphon@healer.com, hackers@freebsd.org, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> > I think my biggest objection is that it requires install-time configuration
> > administration as part of the install.  I'd like to divorce that.  Say
>
> Huh? You have to configure the install at install time <confused look>...

No.  You have to configure the package at install time or subsequent
makes will fail.  There is no distinction between "installed" and
"active".  It'd be nmice to be able to load it but not configure
it.

One example would be your template install without diskless or dataless
or read-only support that you think is the prevalent case.  You install
and then allow the user to post-configure it a component at a time
without creating the need for all components to be configured.

When I get my box, I incrementally configure stuff installed but not
configured by someone else.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---