Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:15:29 -0400
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loss of Functionality with newpnp

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 10:51:59AM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Sigh.  Again, I didn't demand anything.
> >
> > I simply pointed out that functionality had been lost.  If I
> > was the author of this code, I would *want* feedback on how
> > it was working out for people out here in userland.  I assume
> > that the authors in question _do_ want such feedback.
>
> Actually, in your case, no.  The "functionality" you're claiming was
> lost was actually an unintentional side-effect of the code which will
> intentionally not be emulated.

I'm not sure I follow you here.  My card was recognized and configured
properly by the old PnP code.  It is not recognized and configured
properly by the new PnP code.  How can that be classified as simply
'an unintentional side-effect of the code'?

It seems to me that PnP functionality should not be dependant on any
particular driver...  I mean, the PnP code and the audio code (and the
network driver code, and any other possible PnP device driver code)
are seperate things, no?  Shouldn't it be the job of the PnP code to
recognize and configure the device so that it probes and attaches,
regardless of what driver finds it?  At least, it appears to me that
that is what the old PnP code did.  My card worked just fine with it,
regardless of whether I selected 'pcm' or 'snd' in my kernel config.