Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 1997 13:18:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
To:        Zahemszky Gabor <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restricted root

Hi

>>>man 2 chroot
>>>man 8 chroot
>>>
>>>As I know, not very-very good, but it works, if they cannot compile
>>>some programs, etc.
>>
>>But: it's for all users, and not for some users... e.g. with my account
>>and the accounts of some other administrators I want to access the whole
>>system. (And I don't think it's possible to use the chroot prog as
>>non-root?!)
>
>I think, you have to write a very little C-program, and make it his login
>shell.  In that program, chdir to some restricted directory, chroot to
>there, and exec his real shell.

OK, but in that case the shell is uid root?!
Or do I have to exec a '/bin/su - user'... Do I have to execute that after
chroot?!
Or can I just make something like:
'/usr/sbin/chroot /vol1/safe /bin/su - user' ???

Isn't this a huge security risk? There is a process running root in that
case... Or is it absolutly safe whith the good perms?

I hope you can help me, I really need to restrict some users or they won't
get access anymore ...

-=- Paul.