Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:43:14 -0600
From:      Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        WMC <wc_fbsd@xxiii.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Music on Hold via FreeBSD Server

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:41:38 -0500
WMC <wc_fbsd@xxiii.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have an existing FreeBSD 5.x server I'm trying to use to feed
> music or announcements on-hold into our phone system (yeah - I know
> the legalities of using copyrighted stuff.)
>
> I installed a sound card, wired it up, and hacked together a simple
> little script to run the mpg123 package to continuously playback a
> few mp3 files.
>
> Couple questions:
> * What command-line program would you suggest for playing
> uncompressed audio files in this scenario?  There are hundreds of
> entries in Ports,  and I'd rather not spend a month trying them all.

For uncompressed stuff, I've found snd to be nice. Another posibility
is mplayer. For looping them, I would just use find to make a list of
files dumped to a file, and then randomly select one to be played. To
randomly select something, just use rand, ports/textproc/rand.

> * Has anyone else done something similar to this, and would you care
> to share a script to keep it running continuously?

Not something exactly like this, but I have something similar used for
randomly setting my background.