Date:      07 Mar 2004 16:27:28 -0700
From:      llewelly@xmission.com
To:        Ogre Stormbringer <ogre@iglou.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: su: Sorry

Ogre Stormbringer <ogre@iglou.com> writes:

> So what does it take to use su anymore?
>
> I've got a new install of FreeBSD 5.2.1 (installed from 5.1
> cds, cvsup'ed to 5.2.1) with XFree86-4.3.0.  When I start X, open
> a terminal (tried it so far on aterm, eterm, and xterm) and try
> to "su -", I get:
>
> 	Password:
> 	su: Sorry
[snip]

Maybe you have weird chars in your pw, that your terminals do not
    like. Try changing your password to something with all chars
    between acii 33 and ascii 126, inclusive. (see 'man ascii').

Some window managers (e.g, enlightenment) will eat keys if you have
    mistakes in config files, so if your wm config is customized
    double check it.

Finally - I never put backquote in a password, because that's my
    prefix char in screen, and I use screen all the time.

I am running 5.2p2 (cvsuped from RELENG_5_2 about 1 month before 5.2.1
    came out.) and su works great for me, in X or on console.