Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 10:19:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        compland@ism.com.br (Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rarpd

> Hi:
>
>    I need to run rarpd on my Freebsd box, but I'm getting the error:
>    device bpf0 not configured.
>
>    Checking the man pages, I saw that I need to configure that device
> (Berkeley PAcket Filter) in kernel, but I don't know how !
> If anyone has some tips, it would be greatly appreciated !

cd /sys/i386/conf
cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
edit MYKERNEL at the end and add the line
pseudo-device bpfilter 4

(the 4 is a value that suits most requirements)
(You may rip off other devices from the CONFIG file at this time
 since it can speed up booting dramatically.
 e.g. when you don't have wdc1 remove it, if you dont have sio2/3 remove it
 etc., watch out to leave npx0 in. You can also remove pci0 when you don't
 have a pci system. remove various network cards and scsi devices if
 you don't have any and so on..)

config MYKERNEL
cd /sys/compile/MYKERNEL
make depend all
mv /kernel /kernel.old
mv kernel /
sync ; reboot

(Note: you may also use make depend all install in which case the make
process does the kernel installation process automatically for you
but it installs the kernel with the schg flags (man chflags)  which
is sureley a safety measure but can be hindering when you build kernel
often.)