Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2015 11:29:27 +0300
From:      Jukka Ukkonen <jau789@gmail.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: machine/acle-compat.h missing

On 10/13/15 19:22, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> You should not need to set CC and CXX to build, and these are probably
> causing your build failures...  I don't have a RPi2, but the instructions
> at: https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry%20Pi%202%20image
> should be enough, notice the following:
>  # make TARGET_ARCH=armv6 UBLDR_LOADADDR=0x2000000 buildworld
>  # make TARGET_ARCH=armv6 KERNCONF=RPI2 buildkernel

Well, there is nothing different to what I have been doing unless
we consider my setting the target architecture to armv6hf and use
of an explicit source root path as somehow error prone.

I tested again building with the default compiler on 10-stable.
It identifies itself like this...

> cc -v
FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1 (tags/RELEASE_34/dot1-final 208032) 20140512
Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd10.2
Thread model: posix
Selected GCC installation:

Now the error does not happen while building the new version of
clang, but still this does not exactly count as a huge success
either...

--- sbin.all__D ---
cc  -O3 -pipe   -std=gnu99 -Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall
-Wno-format-y2k -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-empty-body
-Wno-string-plus-int -Wno-unused-const-variable
-Wno-tautological-compare -Wno-unused-value -Wno-parentheses-equality
-Wno-unused-function -Wno-enum-conversion -Wno-unused-local-typedef
-Wno-switch -Wno-switch-enum -Wno-knr-promoted-parameter
-Qunused-arguments -c /tank/fish/jau/Xcomp/src.head/sbin/clri/clri.c -o
clri.o
--- tests.all__D ---
--- _sub.all ---
===> tests/sys/pjdfstest/tests/granular (buildfiles)
--- _sub.buildfiles ---
mv: Kyuafile.auto.tmp: No such file or directory
--- share.all__D ---
colldef -I /tank/fish/jau/Xcomp/src.head/share/colldef -o
uk_UA.ISO8859-5.out
/tank/fish/jau/Xcomp/src.head/share/colldef/uk_UA.ISO8859-5.src
--- tests.all__D ---
*** [Kyuafile.auto] Error code 1

make[7]: stopped in
/tank/fish/jau/Xcomp/src.head/tests/sys/pjdfstest/tests/ftruncate
1 error

make[7]: stopped in
/tank/fish/jau/Xcomp/src.head/tests/sys/pjdfstest/tests/ftruncate
--- libexec.all__D ---
gzip -cn /tank/fish/jau/Xcomp/src.head/contrib/atf/atf-sh/atf-check.1 >
atf-check.1.gz
--- tests.all__D ---
*** [_sub.buildfiles] Error code 2

Just to clarify things and to make sure we are not comparing apples
to oranges...
Are you building for RPI2 on 10-stable?
Do you use jail containers for the builds or plain separate source
(and object) root path?
Jailed builds have apparently sometimes behaved differently from
builds using the actual host environment.

> Once you have those built, then comes how to install it... One method
> is to do:
> make TARGET_ARCH=argv6 installworld DESTDIR=<someemptydir> -DNO_ROOT
> tar -czf rpi2.tgz @<someemptydir>/METALOG

My install phase has always been just fine. At the moment there does
not seem to be a big risk that I would even have to test it again in
any predictable future, because the build phase falls on its face.
Maybe there is no need to worry about the install phase just yet.
Thanks anyway.

--jau