Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:46:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        mmercer@nortelnetworks.com, mmercer@ipass.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are cable modems currently supported under FreeBSD?

Michael Mercer wrote,
> Hello All,
>
> As the subject states, Are cable modems currently supported under
> FreeBSD?
>
> Looking at http://www.home.com/testdrive/cablemodems/faq.html
>
> this says 'under Winblows you need 125Mb of disk space.'

FreeBSD (or any operating system) does not deal directly with the
cable modem. The modem is connected to a network interface card (NIC)
that is put inside your computer. It is the NIC, not the modem, you
need to be concerned with. Luckily, the run-of-the-mill NICs most
cable providers give you are supported. To be safe, you may want to
call up and ask what types of cards your provider uses (mine could not
tell me, they use whatever they have around). Then, look in the FAQ
for supported NICs.

As far as your computer is concerned, being on a cable modem is just
like being on an Ethernet. Except...

Do you have a coax cable connection both ways? Or are you one of those
who can download on coax, but must upload over a phone modem? I am not
aware how to get that up and going.