Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 09:58:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Exabyte Tape Drive Firmware

Hi folks,

I'm looking at purchasing a TTI CTS-8510HXL 8mm (exabyte) tape drive for
use on a FreeBSD machine.  As this is a zoomy, expensive, fancy tape
drive, I've got a coupla questions:

* Will the front panel display work with the FreeBSD scsi tape drivers?
(I ask this because I'm using a CTS-8000 right now upon which the front
panel display doesn't seem to work.)

* Apparently I can do periodic firmware updates to this beastie.  Is
there any method within FreeBSD to do these firmware updates?  I've never
done one, never seen one, don't know what they look like, but I'd like to
know beforehand if I'm going to be able to cope with them.

The PC is a 486-66, I'm going to be using an AHA-1542CF ISA contoller to
talk to the tape drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian