Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2012 04:54:05 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: WITHOUT_MODULES in /etc/make.conf doesn't work

from Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>:

> On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 22:59:44 -0400, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > How does one, when building the kernel, prevent building one or more modules?

> Use the "new" means of /etc/src.conf (see "man src.conf" for
> details) to prevent the building of modules.

I looked through "man make.conf" and "man src.conf" and couldn't find what you mean by the "new" means of /etc/src.conf .

I saw references to WITHOUT_MODULES in "man make.conf" but not "man src.conf".

Would
WITHOUT_MODULES= ulpt
work better in /etc/src.conf than in /etc/make.conf ?

> > I have
> > WITHOUT_MODULES= ulpt
> > in /etc/make.conf
> > but ulpt.ko always appears in /boot/kernel directory.

> > For now, I want to build all modules except for this one, but
> > perhaps I could keep everything in kernel config and not build modules.

> Also a possibility - for "best control" case, combine both, e. g.
> a custom kernel that only includes what you explicitely specity,
> and src.conf to avoid building of modules you're intendedly not
> going to need.

Besides the toxic (?) ulpt.ko, there are a lot of modules that would never be used on my hardware, and other modules that could be built in the kernel as non-modules (such as support for msdosfs and ext2fs, which I don't want to be without).

from Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> :

> > I think MODULES_OVERRIDE is for building only a few modules instead of a large number of modules?

> true. definitely works for me.

> > Alternatively, how can I prevent ulpt.ko from automatically loading when I connect a USB printer (HP) that is supposed to work with ugen but not ulpt.

> devd.conf?

I looked through /etc/devd.conf and associated man pages (devd, devd.conf), couldn't immediately find how to prevent ulpt.ko from loading.

Maybe I could find it if I connect the printer and go through print/hplip documentation?

Either the printer is screwy, hplip is screwy, and/or the BSD adaptations to hplip are screwy, and I can't tell which.

Tom