Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:27:07 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: how can i offload a 600m file without graphic tools?

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:32:07 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

> w can i move a file from my home filesystem to my one disc drive
> without using a GUI?  i don't have a graphic interface on my FBSD
> system and want to save a 600MB file to my cdrom?
>
> thanks for tips on what i have Long forgotten!

I hope I can interpret your question correctly: You need to
burn a 600 MB file to a disc (typically a CD, but could be a
DVD too)?

That's quite easy: CDs typically use the ISO-9660 file system
which mkisofs (from ports) creates, and a program like cdrecord
or cdrdao can burn it to the media. For a DVD, growisofs will
do that part.

Step 1:

	% mkisofs -r -J -o bigfile.iso bigfile

where "bigfile" is the file you want to store. The flags -r and
-J make sure the file system will also be properly interpreted
on non-standard systems; -o specifies the output file.

Step 2:

	% cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=10 -v -eject -tao -data bigfile.iso

In order to know _what_ device to record to, run

	% camcontrol devlist

Make sure you have proper permissions to access the files in /dev
that are needed. If not, use "sudo" prefix or do the required parts
using "su".

In the "camcontrol devlist" output, available drives will be
listed. Bus, taget and LUN will form the "trinity" address that
will then be used in the dev= parameter.

After successful burning,

	% rm bigfile.iso

as it's not needed anymore.

You can also use a piping mechanism from mkisofs to cdrecord, but I
didn't want to make it that complicated. :-)

In case you need to burn a DVD because the file gets bigger than
650..700 MB, only one step is needed:

	% growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -r -J bigfile

In this case, /dev/dvd is a symlink to /dev/cd0 (see "camcontrol
devlist" output again, but look for the associated SCSI devices).

If you already have the ISO file, use

	% growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=bigfile.iso

to record it to DVD.

Note that there are other ways to store data on CDs and DVDs
which are intendedly less compatible by omitting the ISO 9660
file system. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany