Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 12:30:47 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        wollman@freefall.cdrom.com, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   /etc/rc named change

<<On Sun, 19 Mar 1995 17:15:03 -0800, Paul Traina <pst@freefall.cdrom.com> said:

> I think that the change in boot file location for named is gratuitous.
> The world expects named to look for /etc/named.boot and when you changed
> it, you screwed everyone who runs a nameserver with their boot file as
> /etc/named.boot.

But you were smart enough to check the diffs before blindly installing
the new /etc/rc, right?

My OSF/1 machines all look for named.boot in /etc/namedb.

> I think a better choice would be to leave the distribution crud in /etc/namedb
> as it currently is

The stuff from the distribution is almost the correct information to
use for 99% of all Internet-connected installations (localhost.rev
should be automatically edited on installation, like on OSF/1).

> but have the make distribution script create a symlink
> between /etc/named.boot and /etc/namedb/named.boot if no /etc/named.boot
> file is present.

Or you can just edit /etc/rc.

I'm actually contemplating adding /etc/netstart functionality to
specify all the flags, and if I did so, would move the directory name
there.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.