Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:46:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@webweaving.org>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Theo van Klaveren <havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with the ATA-driver

>      While this can be moved into the man page, I don't see how a
> message like this can significantly slow down booting, unless you have a
> slow serial console.  However, a pointer is still useful; I'd suggest a
> shorter message like:
>
>   ad0: DMA disabled: See ad(4) man page for possible reasons.
>   ata-pci0: Busmastering DMA supported
>   lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
>   acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-DA, DVD-ROM, DVD-R
>   acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
>   acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
>   acd0: Medium: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked

I perfectly agree. There is other ones ('usb0: USB version 1.0'), which
are left in, for some secondary reason.

And I think it would be a good idea to hide more output behind boot
verbose. Personally I prefer to print the least possible to make sure
errors and strange behaviour doesn't get lost in noise. Otherwise
we'll have to resort to multi-colour output like RedHat does to make
the 'ohci_wait_intr' message stand out.

That's what I meant with Linux-like.

Cheers,

Nick