Date:      07 Sep 2000 14:48:03 +0200
From:      Thomas Gellekum <tg@melaten.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How are future Python ports going to be handled?

Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za> writes:

>  "So, should you take much interest in Python 1.6?  Probably not.  The

We need to keep Python-1.5 anyway, so there's no real point in _not_
upgrading. At least this will give us some ideas which programs and/or
extensions are likely to break for Python 2.0. Things might get a bit
unstable in the process, but as long as we keep Python 1.5 around they
can at least be fixed very quickly.

> > I will modify all the ports that install extensions into
> > .../python1.5/site-packages to check for python1.5:lang/python15 as to
> > not break package building. These upgrades will happen tomorrow (I
> > have the changes ready, just wait another day).
>
> I was about to submit a PR to update py-biopython, but maybe I'll hold off
> until the changes have propagated.  BTW, I see there's also a new distutils
> (0.9.2) and I've heard rumours of that causing more breakage.  Oh well,
> things are about to get interesting...

Haven't seen that yet, I need to catch up on the CVS version.

[bsd.python.mk]
> > This can also be used to build things like zope or mailman which might
> > expect an older python version.
>
> Interesting, thanks.  I know the current Zope breaks under 1.6b1 - haven't
> tested it on 1.6 final yet.

I'm sure there won't be a difference. Guido didn't take any of my
patches to 1.6b1 (`it's too close to the release'), so I don't expect
more than fixes for real showstoppers in 1.6.

tg