Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:03:50 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   crt=24 in /usr/share/skel/dot.profile

Hi folks,

I don't understand why the crt environment variable is set to '24' and
not '' in /usr/share/skel/dot.profile .

I deduce from the mail(1) manpage that the crt variable is used to
encourage mail(1) to use the pager specified with the PAGER variable.
This is a good thing.

However, I can't see why the arbitrary value of 24 was selected. From
what I understand of the manpage, if the crt variable is empty (rather
than unset) mail(1) will determine the number of rows to page using
terminal settings.

I've set crt='' in my dot.profile and mail(1) uses $PAGER (less in my
case) to page correctly for vt100, cons25 and xterm termcaps, regardless
of the number of rows.

What is the benefit of specifying a value of 24 instead of letting
mail(1) work this value out for itself? Doesn't this smack of setting
TERM=vt100 (or cons25 or whatever)?

Comments of a sensible nature appreciated.

Sheldon.