Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 15:02:18 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Crypto code - an architectural proposal.

<<On Mon, 19 Jun 1995 20:48:10 +0200, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> said:

> only entry point was crypt, so that puts it in the same class as our
> current libdescrypt. Why was/is this a problem? Is it just a lack of
> clarity in the laws?

The US State Department wants to spread as much Fear, Uncertainty, and
Doubt about software exportability as possible, in the hope that it
will discourage people from attempting to export even legal software
(or software for which a license can be easily obtained, the category
I believe libdescrypt.so to fall into).  They and the NSA have their
own unstated mission to outlaw private encryption entirely, in which
the current administration is all too eager to help.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.