Date:      Thu, 11 May 1995 10:25:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: bug in /usr/src/etc/rc (netstart)

> > > netstart is started using sh /etc/netstart (that was a . /etc/netstart
> > > formerly and it used to work). Now, starting it with sh /etc/netstart
> > > $hostname is unknown and the consequences are quite unfriendly.
> >
> > Hostname should be set by /etc/sysconfig, /etc/sysconfig is .'ed into
> > /etc/rc.  Infact all variables that where set in /etc/netstart should
> > now be set by /etc/sysconfig.
> >
> > Do you infact have /etc/sysconfig 1.11, /etc/rc 1.63 ?
>
> I checked again now definitely with both, sysconfig 1.11, rc 1.63 and
> when I have the sh /etc/netstart in rc the hostname is not being set.
> How should it ? I don't need to tell you that a sub shell does not inherit
> variables that are set in the parent unless the subshell is 'sourced'.
>
> It works ok if I replace sh with . (source) (which was in some
> earlier version of rc anyway).

I don't like to repeat myself, but ``Hostname is set by /etc/sysconfig,
/etc/sysconfig is sourced by /etc/rc''.  I know all about sub shell vs
sourced file and the effects on variables.  I have been writting /etc/rc
files for 15 years.

Just where are you setting $hostname at?  If your not doing it at about
line 61 of /etc/sysconfig your not doing it the right way!!!

You will note that at line 75 of /etc/rc the file /etc/sysconf is sourced
into /etc/rc which means $hostname is defined.

You will also note that this is the same way that /etc/netstart now
gets this value from /etc/sysconfig.