Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 12:31:16 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Real UNIX history (was: Congrats to Brett Glass for new BSD hist

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> > > That didn't make it free.
> >
> > No, you;re right.  It was the "them not charging for it" that made
> > it free.  8-).
>
> Remind me again -- why was there a flap, across all three BSDs, about
> Darren Reed's "no modification" licensing of IP Filter around a year
> ago?  He never tried to charge for it, did he?  What was that fuss
> about?

I don't understand the relevence of the question.

The answer is that intent is part of any contract, and Darren
changed the generally understood interpretation of intent for the
license he was using, such that local patches were not allowed
(effectively rendering it an "Artistic License" equivalent).

This was a problem because the ipfilter code was in a security
critical area, where an OS which incorporated it would need to"
be able to provide timely and accurate fixes to problems.

Most OS's had a different idea of "timely" than Darren did.

So it became a security issue.

-- Terry