Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:41:47 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>, current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fast releases demand binary updates.. (Was: Release schedule for	2006)

Jo Rhett wrote this message on Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 01:24 -0800:
> > You are putting words in the mouth of core@ -
>
> Sorry.  As said before, the topic is always struck down and nobody from
> core has ever stood up to say "we'll support this".  I don't know whose on
> core this week, nor will I at any given time.  I just know that core has
> either struck it down or been Silent.

I believe core has a policy of never supporting vaporware...  There is
always the chicken and egg problem with arguments like this...  I'll
code this if you agree to support it and maintain it/I will agree to
support it once you code it...   In FreeBSD, and many open source
projects, no code, no support, how can you support or even agree to
support something that doesn't exist?  And then as soon as FreeBSD
agrees to support something that doesn't exist, either a) other people who
were interested in the project stop, even if you end up never producing
a bit of code, or b) someone else produces better code, drops the
support for the original, but then the author complains about being
told they'd support his code, and going with another code base...

Bottom line:  Once code exists, then support can be talked about..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579