Date:      Fri, 29 Jul 2016 20:26:56 -0400
From:      Randy Westlund <rwestlun@gmail.com>
To:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve with lagg failover doesn't work on wifi

--CqfQkoYPE/jGoa5Q

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 01:06:52PM -0600, John Nielsen wrote:
> Generally speaking, you can't bridge the station side of a wireless link.=
 The access point will only accept frames with the station's MAC address. S=
o what you are seeing is expected, unfortunately.
>=20
> Your best bet is probably to do NAT. Take lagg0 out of the bridge and use=
 it as your "public" interface. Assign a local IP to the bridge. Run a DHCP=
 server on your host (or in another VM on the bridge if you like) or just u=
se static internal IPs on your VMs. Enable IP forwarding (gateway_enable=3D=
yes in rc.conf). Configure your firewall to NAT your private range out lagg=
0.
>=20
> You can do other things with tunneling, etc. but you'll need a remote end=
point for the tunnel. (If your access point runs FreeBSD you can use either=
 vxlan or gif+EtherIP and just use the wireless link to carry the tunnel tr=
affic, but I suspect that you want to roam between arbitrary access points.)

Thanks for the explanation, that makes perfect sense.  I hadn't
considered the implications of a layer 2 bridge to a wireless link.

--CqfQkoYPE/jGoa5Q

--CqfQkoYPE/jGoa5Q--