Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2019 10:41:00 +0400
From:      Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>
To:        Duncan Bayne <duncan@bayne.id.au>
Cc:        haskell@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to build git-annex

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 1:12 AM Duncan Bayne <duncan@bayne.id.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Firstly thanks for maintaining Haskell on FreeBSD!  This has proved very
> helpful to me as I use a couple of Haskell-based tools (shellcheck,
> git-annex) on a regular basis.
>
> I'm currently unable to build git-annex on FreeBSD 12.0; I filed a bug on
> git-annex, but they have closed it claiming it's likely a bug with my
> Haskell toolchain.
>

> https://git-annex.branchable.com/bugs/Can__39__t_compile_on_FreeBSD__58___alex__44___StateVar__44___SafeSemaphore__44___IfElse_fail/?updated
>
> This _used_ to work on 11.2 so part of me suspects (l)user error on my
> part as the cause :)
>
> The (abridged) errors are:
>
> IfElse-0.85: configure
> SafeSemaphore-0.10.1: configure
> StateVar-1.1.1.1: configure
> alex-3.2.4: configure
>
> --  While building custom Setup.hs for package alex-3.2.4 using:
>     Cabal-simple_mPHDZzAJ_2.2.0.1_ghc-8.4.4: No cabal file found.
>     Please create a package description file <pkgname>.cabal
>
> --  While building custom Setup.hs for package StateVar-1.1.1.1 using:
>     Cabal-simple_mPHDZzAJ_2.2.0.1_ghc-8.4.4: No cabal file found.
>     Please create a package description file <pkgname>.cabal
>

> --  While building custom Setup.hs for package SafeSemaphore-0.10.1 using:
>     Cabal-simple_mPHDZzAJ_2.2.0.1_ghc-8.4.4: No cabal file found.
>     Please create a package description file <pkgname>.cabal
>
> --  While building custom Setup.hs for package IfElse-0.85 using:
>     Cabal-simple_mPHDZzAJ_2.2.0.1_ghc-8.4.4: No cabal file found.
>     Please create a package description file <pkgname>.cabal
>
> Versions of things are:
>
> + FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE r341666 GENERIC amd64
> + Stack 1.7.1 x86_64
> + GHC 8.4.3.

This is indeed our problem. It is described here
https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/3515 and should have even
be fixed in stack 1.9.3, but unfortunately I didn't ask for merge into
stable branch. So, if you use development stack version, you should be able
to build git-annex successfully.

Another solution is to just wait a little bit more - I'm converting the way
our hs-ports are built by switching to new-cabal machinery. This would
allow us to drop much of hs-* ports and build Haskell applications much
faster.