Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 00:54:47 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns ans roses

At 16:56 26-03-2000 -0500, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>Someone was mentioning here that Latin America's catholics wouldn't like
>"Chuck", well... my sister in law converted to a (US-based) Christian
>church and now their kids are not allowed to look at Batman because of
>"those pointed demon-like horns" (the ears!).

Hehe. Some people did not like Mr. Spock when Star Trek first came out,
because he had pointed ears, hence had to be the devil himself. ;)

>In sum, I agree education is very important, but it would be better for
>all of us if the danger was abolished or at least controlled.

Among other things, I've got a degree in Canon Law (that's the law of the
Catholic Church). One of the things they taught us was that it is pointless
to make laws based on philosophical/theoretical ideals but only laws based
on realistic expectations. Based on the strong feelings about guns in the
US, I believe the most realistic way to deal with guns is by insisting on
proper training. Banning guns is just not going to work in the US.

As I said, I only bought a gun when I became a deputy sheriff. Now I no
longer carry it. But I was brought up in Europe. When I analyze the
situation in the US, however, I am looking at the US culture, of which
firearms are an important part. Based on that, and only that, I believe the
only thing the government in the US should do is insist on proper training.
Anything else is unrealistic. A government of the people must consider the
people and some theoretical ideals.

They should have learned a lesson when they tried to remove Bill Clinton
from office. The people clearly wanted Clinton to be left alone, while the
Congressional Republicans were screaming about moral theory, and only
managed to anger everyone.

Cheers,
Adam