Date:      Wed, 9 Nov 2016 22:24:42 +0100
From:      diffusae <punasipuli@t-online.de>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to change MAC address on RPI-B?

Hi!

Thanks for you reply.

On 09.11.2016 13:31, John W. Kitz wrote:

> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Changing_Your_MAC_Address/FreeBSD as well as
> at, a more UNIX flavor independent, discussion of the topic at

That's the way it works. You could do this on the RPi, but after that
you haven't no more network connection.

It's like Hans Petter said: The sys/dev/usb/net/if_smsc.c driver needs a
patch to set the mac address runtime. I don't know, how to write it,
because I am not really familiar with C source code.

> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Changing_Your_MAC_Address/Linux, which also
> specifically addresses how to make
> persistent.

In all flavour of Linux that should work, without problems on the RPi.
You could set the MAC address from the kernel command line.

> In addition I noticed that the MAC address, which you are trying to use
> instead of the burned-in one, contains 'FF', which, given its use in
> functional MAC addresses used for broadcast type purposes, might not be such
> a good idea.

Really, that I don't know. I only use it, as an example, instead of
00:11:22:33:44:55. Overriding the burned-in MAC address persistent on a
RPi wouldn't work, because it is generated from a combination of the MAC
range (b8:27:eb) and the last three bytes of the serial number.

But it should be possible to change this in this RPi FTD file, then it
might work.

Best regards,