Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:16:56 -0400
From:      Holger Kunst <hkunst-freebsd@truebridge.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Intel L440GX+ Server Board - Temperature Monitoring

Hi,

I am trying to get fan RPM, temperature & voltage readings from Intel=20
L440GX+ server board (VA Linux 2200 Box) on FreeBSD 4.8. The board does=20
come with an integrated monitoring subsystem (BMC) which is supposed to=20
have IPMI management capabilities.

Doug White's IPMI tools (http://people.freebsd.org/~dwhite/ipmi/) for=20
FreeBSD could be an option, but the board is not listed as tested and I was=
=20
unable to get any readings from the board. I have tried both KCS and SMIC=20
drivers and it appears that the board has a KCS interface as kcs.c reports=
=20
"Current KCS state: 0x0 (0x0) : IDLE_STATE". According to the readme a=20
status of 0xff indicates not supported so a result of 0x0 looks like it is=
=20
supported.

ipmicmd.py -k -c reports "******* Error getting chunk at len 21 (0x0)"

Has anybody tried this on a L440GX+ board?

I have also tried to read sensor information directly from the SMB bus.=20
/usr/ports/sysutils/consolehm can read senor information from the PIIX4 SMB=
=20
bus, but that does not deliver valid data:

chm -I
Using ISA Method.
Motherboard Temperature: 255 =B0 C
CPU_0 Temperature: 0 =B0 C
CPU_1 Temperature: 0 =B0 C
VCore:   3.98438 V
Vit:     3.98438 V
Vio:     3.98438 V
+5V:     6.65391 V
+12V:    15.9375 V
-12V:    -15.9375 V
-5V:     -6.65391 V
Fan 1: Not Available
Fan 2: Not Available
Fan 3: Not Available

If I try the chm -S method (with SMBUS support compiled into the kernel) I=
=20
get a "Device not configured" error message.

Has anyone been able to get monitoring readings from this board? Any=20
suggestions?

Thanks,

Holger