Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 1995 17:41:17 -0800
From:      steve2@genesis.nred.ma.us (Steve Gerakines)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FIX FOR CACHE/DMA RANGE PROBLEMS

> Yes.  The Ultrastor is a problem; I was trying to be a bit more generic.
> The start of this thread was condemning generic problems with DMA, of
> which the Ultrastor identification problem is only one (small) example.

What exactly is the problem with the Ultrastor probe??  Please be specific.
I wrote the 24F (EISA) probe virtually line by line from the spec.  The
only problem I know of which is now fixed, is that there was a faulty test
to see if a 24F card was in wd emulation mode.

>From what I can follow in this thread you're talking about two different
things here.  The driver will certainly detect a 24F and use the proper
card settings.  It does not (and as far as I know no driver does) check
test to see if the EISA chipset is buggy.

I'm not sure what changed in 2.x but it would be nice to have config
support for all the different bus types rather than hardcoding all the
different methods in each driver.  Better yet, it would be nice to just
nuke config entirely.

- Steve
steve2@genesis.nred.ma.us