Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:27:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys" <rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        cyberhaq@concentric.net
Cc:        rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (User RDKEYS Robert D. Keys), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation

> > > When I boot from the boot disk I made with boot.flp it says can't find
> > > boot.config, can't find boot.help what do I do.

> I tried to boot again, I have a 166MHz processor and it just kept on
> repeating the same couple of lines over and over.  I let it just keep
> going for over five minutes nothing happened.

> The following is exactly what was vbeing prointed on my screen.
> >>FreeBSD Boot@0x0000:639/48128k of memory, internal console

                            ++++++

OK, that helps some, but I am not sure of the correct action.

There have been reported some problems with machines having 48 megs of
ram in them.  I do not remember the reason why, offhand.  Try posting
this information to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, and one of the gurus
will be able to help.  There may be some info on this problem in the FAQ.

> Boot default: 0:fdCO,a)kernal
>
> boot:
> Can't find kernal

Possibly this is related to the 48 meg ram syndrome.  If the disk booted
that far, the rawrite was probably OK.

> It just repeated this over and over for five minutes.  I don't know
> whats wrong.  I've tried a couple of different disks. I think the
> boot.fpl is fine.

I will bounce this along to freebsd-questions, for you, and I am sure
one of the folks will have the answer for you.

Good Luck.

Bob Keys

p.s.  Can anyone relay to this person the info on the 48 meg ram problem.
      I sounds a bit like he is having such a problem on his bootup.
      All my machines are an order of magnitude less in ram.....(:+{{.....