Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:44:39 -0800
From:      Chris Knight <fbsd-stb@ghostwheel.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why doesn't Vinum start automatically?

There have been changes to rc and rc.conf lately to autostart Vinum.  But
on my system it does not auto load at start and I wind up manually loading
the module, reading the config and mounting the volume.  Any help if
figuring out why this is not working would be appreciated.

rc.conf now sets a variable with the drives from to read the config:

	vinum_slices="/dev/da1 /dev/da2 /dev/da3 /dev/da4"

and rc checks for this variable and loads vinum if it is set:

	if [ -n "$vinum_slices" ]; then
	        if [ -r /modules/vinum.ko ]; then       # jkh paranoia
	                kldload vinum
	                vinum read $vinum_slices
	        else
	                echo "Can't find /modules/vinum.ko"
	        fi
	fi

Any ideas why this isn't working?  Is it working in -current but not -stable?

-ck