Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:09:37 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Console patch part II...

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:00:04AM -0500, Ken Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:45:41PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > Your patch looks like a big kluge. Mostly because you're delaying
> > cninit() and hardcode a dependency on ofw_console. That sure breaks
> > my box and I'm not going to add ofw_console simply because I
> > already have a console (using uart(4)).
>
> Do you know what happens if you call panic() before cninit()?

You need to fix the code to call cninit() soon enough that you
never need to panic before it?

> The
> reason I tried the big kluge was that I haven't been able to
> successfully move enough of what seem to be the pre-requisites to
> cninit() to before the first spot panic() gets called.

This mostly tells that the prerequisites are bogus.

> If panic()
> can be called before cninit() gets run then moving stuff around might
> be easier.

You can never call panic() before cninit(), because panic() is
meaningless without a console.

Where is the problem exactly? Is it syscons again (like on alpha)?