Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 09:47:53 -0400
From:      David Windsor <dwindsor@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PID/UID namespaces

Hi,

While doing some research on FreeBSD jails, I came across an item in the
jails' TODO:

   - be able to have a separate PID space for it
   - be able to specify a separate UID space for it

In other projects, these goals have been accomplished using namespaces.  I
tried to see if PID/UID namespaces existed in BSD and came across something
called Capsicum, a sandboxing project which does not appear to implement
outright namespaces for descriptors like PID/UID, but uses something called
a "Process Descriptor."

Is namespacing of PIDs and UIDs an eventual goal of the jails project of
FreeBSD?

Thanks,

David

PS: Excuse my ignorance of anything related to BSD, as I come from a Linux
background.

--
PGP: 6141 5FFD 11AE 9844 153E  F268 7C98 7268 6B19 6CC9