Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 21:33:15 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Graeme Tait <U@webcom.com>
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to share accounts between mail/pop and web servers?

Graeme Tait wrote in message ID
<361ADA58.58B7@webcom.com>:

> I can see it cutting both ways. If you had say 5 boxes in my model
> and one we nt down, 20% of users are affected. If all there email
> was on one box in the alternate model, 100% of email is down.

> The model I suggested seems to be that successfully used by pair.com
>  (running FreeBSD, of course).

> Another advantage of essentially identical boxes is that upgrades
> can be test ed on a subset of the system before total commitment.

It also creates interesting problems when you grow large enough. All
our servers are broken out by function (to the point of different NS
machines for customer resolvers and nameservers for acutally holding
local domain information, inbound & outbound & virtual mail machines
are all broken out, etc. It makes it administratively cleaner, and
stops people fighting over tuning options and system setups and so
on....

Gary