Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:45:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Marco A. Barbosa S." <mbarbosa@fciencias.ens.uabc.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nis/nfs problem try 2

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Marco A. Barbosa S. wrote:

> 	ooops

Not the thing you wnt to hear first thing from your computer hacker. :-)

> 	2 2.2.5 RELEASE FreeBSD boxes
>
> 	1.- Fciencias nis/nfs client
> 	2.- Xcalibur  nis/nfs server

Okay, I've been working with NIS over the past week or so.

> 	problem:
>
> 	network segment on LAN (novell netware,ethernet,thin coax )
> 	is ok, but Xcalibur gets stuck. If someone is logged in
> 	Fciencias, they still have net access to everywhere,
> 	but Xcalibur gets isolated. Any user in Fciencias, loses
> 	files and noone else can login due to nis/dns failure.

Why does Xcalibur get stuck?  How?  Please be more specific. Can you ping
it?  Can you connect out OK from xcalibur?

> 	After a few minutes, things get back to normal, but its
> 	pretty annoying to not be able to log into Fciencias,
> 	cuz its the main mail server and web server and other
> 	stuff.

Either xcalibur is going south or your network is going south.  Hangups
on the client sound like a loss of NIS connecivity, and a later
reconnection.  You should get log entries when the NIS connection is lost
and regained.

> hmmm we (I personally) suspected Xcalibur's
> 	NIC (Network Interface Card) but... then I was enlightened
> 	somehow and in one of those "crashes" I went to the
> 	Xcalibur console and thought about restarting the nfsd's
> 	but.. I decided to just warm-jump-start them with a
> 	killall -hup... and miracoulously things got online
> 	again...

Perhaps a daemon is going nuts?  Check top.