Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 2015 15:55:36 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC7084 "Basic Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers"

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015, at 06:24, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if FreeBSD 9.3 is compliant with RFC7034?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

One of the requirements is 6rd. This is not supported out of the box by
FreeBSD. It is handled by the patched "stf" driver you can get from
ports/packages: net/stf-6rd-kmod

It has not made it into the kernel yet. As I understand it is
incomplete. I need it for IPv6 from my ISP, but you can also use a GRE
tunnel to get functional IPv6 from a provider who uses 6rd. The caveat
is that you can't communicate with others on your same subnet, but
that's not something a consumer is probably trying to do. They're trying
to get to the greater internet, not connect to a device on their
neighbor's IPv6 network.