Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 01:55:12 +0200
From:      Markiyan Kushnir <markiyan.kushnir@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATI Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) on ASUS P5K Deluxe hang at Xorg startup.

Another DRI-related freeze ...

ATI Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) on ASUS P5K Deluxe hangs at the
startup of the Xorg with DRI enabled. Hard freeze, the Power Button
does not bring the system down. I could only use the Reset Button.

% uname -a
FreeBSD localhost.test 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #0: Mon
Jan  3 17:29:21 EET 2011
root@localhost.test:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAREK  i386

An older Radeon R200 on an Intel 945PRN worked OK running the same FreeBSD
release. This older Radeon, when plugged in the ASUS P5K, hits the same
hard freeze (I actually moved the hard drive and the video card from
that Intel 945PRM to the ASUS P5K).

This ASUS board has two PCI-E alots, so I tried a different slot,
no success. As another exercise, I forced a separate IRQ to the video
card using "hw.pci0.2.0.INTA.irq=3" loader tunable (based on the
$PIR table). With this separate irq, still no luck, not sure if I should
try it at all, since the card gets an MSI any way.

I also tried a trick with forcing the libthr.so.3 linking into the Xorg
binary, discussed a year ago at:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2010-February/009362.html

I built the xorg-server with the HAL support, no luck.

As a side note, each test of the Xorg was done on a newly started-up system,
that is no previous "successful" X session took place.

Since no Xorg.log.0 in such cases was normally available, I have collected
output from /var/log/messages. Because of the "hw.dri.0.debug: 1", the
output is quite huge, here are a couple of cases:

  http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/1960.tgz
  http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/1991.tgz
  http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/3238.tgz
  http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/3239.tgz
  http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/3249.tgz

Additional info:

% devinfo -rv:
  http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/devinfo-rv.tgz

% pciconf -lvc
  http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/pciconf-lvc.tgz

The output of dmesg:
  http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/dmesg.tgz

The Xorg configuration:
  http://sites.google.com/site/markiyankushnir/radeon-dri-freebsd-files/xorg.conf.tgz

I am aware that some video card + motherboard ensembles have issues
like this one, so I am curious if anyone could suggest a hint.

Thanks,
Markiyan.